What is Pupil Premium?
The pupil premium grant is funding to improve educational outcomes for disadvantaged pupils in state-funded schools in England.
Is my child eligible?
The following groups are eligible for pupil premium:
- pupils who are recorded as eligible for free school meals, or have been recorded as eligible in the past 6 years;
- children looked after by local authorities (looked after children);
- children previously looked after by a local authority (previously looked-after children).
What is pupil premium spent on?
To ensure that pupil premium is focused on effective approaches to raising the educational attainment of disadvantaged pupils, schools must use their pupil premium in line with the ‘menu of approaches’ set by the DfE and must allocate funding in the following 3 areas:
- supporting the high-quality teaching, such as staff professional development
- providing targeted academic support, such as tutoring, including through the National Tutoring Programme
- tackling non-academic barriers to academic success, such as difficulties in attendance, behaviour and social and emotional wellbeing